Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A man named Ernie

I strolled into Walgreens feeling just fine, thinking this was going to be a quick and easy trip, since all I needed to do was copy a picture for my great-grandmother. I walked up to the counter and explained what I wanted to do, the clerk asked me what size picture I wanted, so I whipped out the photograph and showed it to her. She then proceeded to explain that because it was taken by a professional photographer, there were copyright laws that applied and I couldn't copy it. We went around in circles for a few minutes, me expressing my shock and dismay because it was MY picture and why couldn't I copy it and she, the clerk, getting agitated as she repeated herself to me. I finally left, mumbling a thank you, feeling disgruntled.

As I got back in the car and calmed down a little, I felt disappointed about the way I had responded to this little incident.

I was upset because things didn't go smoothly as I had planned.

Then it occured to me.

G-d was present. Not only me.

I had forgotten that when there is a G-d things don't always go my way.

And, since when is my way the best way?

I pondered my way to Safeway and it was there that I met Ernie.
----

So there I was, waiting in the express line at the Safeway on Rainer, which actually seemed to be going slower than the regular lines, and so I contemplated switching lines but then I realized that it's like when you are driving; the lane next to you is always going faster until you switch over to it.

So there I was, waiting, and as I inched closer I could see that the man behind the counter was Ernie, a tall, full-faced, black man with a huge smile on his face; the kind of guy that you would see whistling a tune as he walked down the street with a jump in his step. Then I realized why the express lane was moving at snails pace, because Ernie treated his customers like his closest friends, with care, concern and compassion and he inquired about the lives of each customer and responded with sincere words of advice and comfort. I stood there wondering how he was able to be so positive and act towards every single person with such joy and care. It wasn't long before I understood.

A couple more minutes of waiting and it was my turn to have chat with Ernie.

"Hello there," Ernie said, with a big contagious smile.

"Hello, how are you doing?" I responded, with an equally big smile (I couldn't resist, even if I wanted to).

"Oh, alright-a little hungry," he proclaimed.

"Didn't have your break yet?" I inquired

"Nah, but I'll grab something in a bit," he said, still smiling, "but enough about me, how are YOU?" he insisted.

"Good, Thank G-D," I exclaimed, I am really enjoying the snow, it is just so beautiful!"

"ALL of G-D's creations are beautiful," He insisted.

-------

You are so right, sir.

And there it was. Ernie has got it down.

It is crystal clear to him that each and every single person is deeper than their physical body, each person has a soul that is beautiful-even if it is hard to see.

Because he knows this with every fiber of his being, he can bring out the humanity in each and every person, no matter how big of a sneer they have on their face.

It also means, that whatever G-d throws his way, Ernie is prepared and ready to integrate it with joy, because ALL of G-d's creations are beautiful.

He doesn't let a little thing get in the way of his smile.

Not even a photograph.

And I thought I just had some errands to run?

G-d had another idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your comment on Mimi's blog and I figured I'd check out your blogspot. I hope you don't mind..... and I just HAD to post because I love your writing as well! This story just makes me want to smile at each person and notice each little thing positively. Thanks! :-)

Raizel said...

Hi Someone else,

Welcome! I do not mind in the least, au contrair, all comments are welcome. Thanks for posting and letting me know you enjoyed my writing.

Really, I meet people like this every so often and it inspires me as well, because you can often see the immediate results of your actions, and such a small gesture too.