Wednesday, October 05, 2011

That was just my stomach talking



I just wanted to get lunch. But the sidewalk was crowded with protestors, and barricades because of the protestors. "Anarchists, is what they call themselves," one policeman said, "we're here because of potential looting and vandalism."

"Great, a bunch of aimless hippies and hooligans who are wasting MY tax payer dollars on police force, and for what?" I grumbled.

But that was just my stomach talking.

And as the protests went on I ranted to a friend, "I agree with their message, but they are so scattered and they aren't fighting for something specific. They have no action plan!"

Who was that, making those cynical comments about activists?? I didn't recognize myself as I touted my nose at them.

But tonight, they sparked my soul.

I just wanted to get to the subway and go home. But there were thousands of people in the streets; protestors, journalists, spectators and police, who were yelling, singing, handing out newspapers and fliers, and chanting. And as I walked those 10 blocks filled with thousands of  hippies, business men and women, activists, students, doctors and mothers who just want justice, I remembered my soul.

Every day I go to work to help create a more just world and everyday I forget that we live in a world full of people who are struggling and suffering. I get caught up in the stresses and busy-ness of life and work, I get caught up with e-mails and logistics and I forget the fight. I forget who we are fighting for, what we are fighting for and why we are fighting!

And these hippies and hooligans; they filled me in.

We are fighting for the people. For us. For our families. For the children we don't yet have.

We are fighting because we are human and our greatest need is to unite with others, survive and actualize.

We are fighting because we care and because the world needs our passion.

We are fighting because there's a world of generosity and kindness waiting to erupt.

We are fighting because a world of greed and lies is poison.

We will fight today, tomorrow and even after the protestors go home.

Because we know deep inside that something's not right.

My stomach has quieted and my soul is now yelling.

Will you care?

Will you join the fight?


3 comments:

dasi said...

Raizel, great post!

Yes, I will join the struggle--and I feel like this is a seriously good insight into what it feels like to work for justice in the business-ified non-profit world. Its like one constantly have to expose themselves to reflection to remind them of their mission.

Shloimy Notik said...

Enjoyed reading that, Raize. I'm happy you're back to writing.

Yoni said...

Let's do it! Allow me just to break the bottom off this here beer bottle. Alright, let's go...
Who we fighting?