Sunday, December 10, 2006

Jews for G-D


I encountered him on my way to school, twice in the same week. He was standing at the top of a busy escalator in the subway station during rush hour, a sweet, peaceful yet disturbing smile on his face, wearing a shirt advertising Jews for Jesus. He thrust his hand out with a pamphlet imploring me to take it, "No thanks," I said, with disdain in my voice and a glare in my eyes. In my hurry to get to my class my mind said, "I am a Jew for G-D" but I didn't pause to express my sentiments to this man. This scenario repeated itself twice and I kicked myself for not stopping to talk and tell this confused man what I really thought.

Has the the blessing of free speech made so many of us tolerant? Has this "blessing" caused us to pass people spreading lies about our nation and say, "no thanks" instead of starting an uproar, stating what we believe and fighting for the cause? Where is our anger, our passion and love for G-d and his children? Where are we expressing these inbred Jewish traits? Is complacency going to be the next destroyer of thriving Jews? Where is our burning fire of love, passion and commitment that we must breathe every moment of every day? Where is our commitment to Hashem, His Torah and His children.

On the Jews for Jesus site it shouts in bold, "How to Get Saved." What this seeming innocuous phrase shouts is antithetical to everything Judaism stands for. It connotes passivism. It reassures, you dont have to do anything active, just believe in Jesus and you will be saved. Judaism is all about action, do, do more and never stop! This is one of the dangers of Jews for Jesus and what I suspect is part of its popularity, it is so easy! More dangerous, however, is their passion for their warped beliefs! They are committed to "saving" the world. Where is our passion????? We have an obligation to teach all that we learn to each and every Jew. To be passionate and assertive with our fellow Jews!

R' Dovid Goldwasser was once walking down the street and he meets two Jewish men. Barely into the conversation he asks them if they had a bris milah, they tell him no, but they are too old and so they don't want one. R' Goldwasser goes on to tell them the significance and beauty in the mitzvah. They refuse still and then he leaves. As he is walking away he hears somone shouting after him. He turns around and one of the men are running after him. He stops R' Goldwasser and says, "My wife just had a baby boy, if I am too old, I want my son to have a bris, can you organize a bris for him?" He did just that and as a result another beautiful soul was brought officially into the covenant. It was all because of the passion and love of ONE man who knew that inside each Jew there was a soul shouting to be heard and touched!!!

Just IMAGINE a world full of people like this...

We have the power to make it happen.

Be Bold.

Be Daring.

Be Real

Seek The Truth.

No comments: